Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cancun Day 5: Horseback Riding!

Steph and I ventured off resort again to try our hands at being caballeras (cowgirls). We headed out to Maroma Resort and Marina. The funniest part is that it had rained earlier that morning at our resort, but was still cloudy. Then, it rained the whole shuttle ride there. It stopped raining right about the time we turned into Maroma. We chilled at this cool little palapa with swing seats while we waited for our tour to start.


So we saddled up and hit the trail! My horse was Marisol, a 3.5 year old with an attitude problem. They warned me I would have to pull on the reins and kick her a lot to stop her from eating the whole trail ride.


Cenote = "sinkhole" as a direct translation, but is basically a natural fresh-water holding tank




I thought the round leaf was really neat

View of the trail


More trail - notice the big puddle. That's what we were riding through :) Hence, we were wet after the ride.
 While riding, I had a great conversation (all in Spanish!) with a guy named Fernan, who lives in Ibiza, Spain. It was awesome. I love the Spain Spanish accent. Gorgeous! And he was so nice and fun :) Fernan is in the above picture, behind Steph to the left. His friend, Antonio, is wearing the Burberry shirt with the 3.

The ride through the jungle and on the beach was really good, and really fun. The saddles were different from American saddles though, and they were really wide and hard as rocks. I literally had bruises on my backside after we were finished. It was fun though. The trail was wet, so we got a little wet and muddy, but not too bad. The funniest part was, while it was cloudy the whole time, it didn't start raining until we were just a few feet from the stables on the way back. Perfect timing!

Then we headed to the hotel restaurant for some chips and salsa and Diet Coke. The guys from Spain sat with us, so it was funny. Steph doesn't speak Spanish, and Antonio doesn't speak English, so it was a lot of translating for me and Fernan. My Spanish skills definitely improved though! And a Mariachi band when around putting crazy hats on people and playing.

Fernan and Steph
After returning to the hotel, we got ready, goofed off, and hit the dinner buffet. We also visited the indoor Lobby Bar (due to the rain) and of course, Ekinox Lounge!
Getting the blind elephant drunk
Elephante Especial
Lobby Bar

That shot is called $#!+ on the Grass. I kid you not.

Our lovely waiter, Giovanni, trying on Jess's shoes :)
We should have gone to bed early, since we had to be up early the next day, but we didn't!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am loving reading about your trip!! Sounds like you guys had a blast :)