Monday, February 28, 2011

Cancun Day 3: Sailing Adventure

For day 3, we got up early (no mean feat for us, considering we stayed up super late!) and headed down to the marina for a little trip to Isla Mujeres. Naturally, we forgot BOTH of the waterproof cameras that Steph and I had specifically gone to Target to get before we left for Mexico. But, we got a reusable one as we checked in! Yay :) Unfortunately, due to the nature of the trip, we were in swimsuits a lot of the time, and there are many pictures forbidden to ever be seen by anyone else...

The boat was kind of small, but the crew was really fun and hilarious. Sara and I made the mistake of sitting in the back of the boat on the way to the island, so even after 2 Dramamine pills for each of us, we were feeling rather seasick. Not good. Watching 2 teenagers in skimpy bikinis hurl over the edge of the boat didn't help either.

Because we had so many people on our voyage, they split us into two groups - one to snorkel and one to roam the island and shop. We opted to shop first and take a break from the rocking of the boat. We found some awesome floppy hats, and I bought a silver ring for Chris and a really cool sarong that I can't wait to show off this summer! Best purchase of the day goes to Jess though. She bartered a gorgeous diamond and turquoise ring from $189 to $45. Utterly ridiculous! And I'm still jealous ;)

Here we are with our purchases, waiting for the boat to come in
Then, we hopped back on the boat and went snorkeling! I had never been before, so I was a little nervous, and it definitely took some time to get used to breathing through my mouth into a tube. Sara had a bad experience snorkeling before this trip, so she was terrified. She kept a death grip on my hand, with Steph death gripped on the other side. Honestly, it was comforting to have someone right there, and I was really glad the three of us were able to snorkel together :D But I have to say it was difficult to take photos one-handed!
Steph

Jess



This is why I need a digital camera...

Awesome turquoise fish





Sara - I love the sky behind her. It looks so cool!
After snorkeling, we picked everyone up and cruised around the island to a resort for a buffet lunch. The food was not so good, but Jess held a shark!

View of Cancun from the boat
Cute little church on Isla Mujeres
On the way back, we parasailed! Although I use the term loosely because you have to jump off the front of the boat into the middle of the ocean, swim out to a rope with a towel wrapped around it, and get yourself seated on the rope in the middle of the towel. Then you hold on as tight as you can, because the rope is attached to a sail, and all you can do it go with the wind... There are photos, but they will never be public considering that the rope was twisted so I got on backwards, and proceeded to have a complete wedgie with my large white rear facing the boat.
One of the really funny crew guys
Coming back to Cancun 
Viva Mexico!
What did we do that night? Well, we had to eat at the buffet since we were snorkeling and sailing during the time to make reservations at the restaurants. Decent for buffet food, but nothing compared to the restaurants. And I think we went to bed early that night. The only time on the trip we did that!

1 comment:

The Hobbs Family said...

I love your vacation posts!! I'm so glad you were able to go and had such a great time :o)