Another quarter is finally over! Thank goodness, because this one was a beast. My Pediatric Nursing professor writes evil tests! They were extremely difficult and didn't really focus on nursing aspects, which was difficult. I just glad it's done, because I couldn't take any more. I don't know how I pulled it off, but somehow I did. Now I'm excited to get my new phone, not study, and go see my family and meet Panzer (Kelton's dog from Afghanistan). The countdown is on! My nephew could also arrive any day now... Can't wait to meet him and give Chase and Meg all the cute stuff I have for him :) No name yet, but I'll keep you updated!
***Warning: No children allowed. This portion of the blog post deals with what I have learned about pregnancy, labor, birth, kids, etc. I may discuss body parts, body fluids, emotions, or use such words as episiotomy or vagina. I'm in nursing school. Deal with it! If you have a low TMI threshold, or if you are easily creeped out, you may exit the blog now***
Even though it was extremely difficult, I learned so much!
-The NICU is amazing! I could work in one for the rest of my life and be totally happy. I have found my ultimate goal in nursing. Babies are freakin' cute!
-Labor & Delivery, Transition Nursery, Surgery, and Mom/Baby are also amazing places I would be happy working in.
-I do not want to be a Peds nurse. I love babies. I do not love kids or teenagers, with a few exceptions. (Hopefully I will love my own children, otherwise I may have to give them up when they are not babies anymore ;))
-The hospital birthing experience is not for me, barring any complications or extenuating circumstances. I don't want the IV, the Pitocin, the crazy hospital policies, the constant monitoring, the provider's time table, or the broken-down bed.
-Given that I am allergic to latex, tape adhesive, and metal, I think an epidural is out for me anyways. So, in order to have some sort of pain relief, I'm considering a water birth. I did a project on water births in OB, and they have a lot of advantages, including decreased need for episiotomy. That I really like. I'm also fine without the side effects of an epidural (low blood pressure, not being able to move myself, itching, urinary retention, constipation...) My good friend, Amber, also had a very amazing and encouraging experience with natural labor at home and a birthing center.
-Under no circumstances do I want an episiotomy! One of the worst things I saw in my hospital birth experiences were doctors or nurse practitioners just cutting them without even asking the woman, or telling them that they were doing it. 2 out of the 3 vaginal births I saw ended up with episiotomies. No pretty. The 30 minutes you spend after giving birth with your legs in the air and everything hanging out while they repair it was not pretty either. It also interferes with bonding with the baby, and the poor dad has to decide between hanging with his poor wife, or being with the new baby. Episiotomies also create scar tissue, which doesn't stretch like normal tissue. That means you'll have to have an episiotomy for each and every subsequent birth...
-There are a bunch of different positions to give birth in, and lithotomy position (on your back, legs up in stirrups) is the least effective position, and the one that requires the most medical interventions. So, I won't be doing that.
-Education in incredibly important in everything, but especially in knowing the risks and benefits of everything in labor and delivery. I would never begrudge anyone anything they want, or the choices they make. I just ask that you know what you're getting into before you do. Ask questions! Research! If you don't feel fully informed after every doctor's/midwife/whatever appointment, your provider's office is not doing an adequate job. Part of a nurse's job is education, and believe me, it's very important.
-Even just conversations with my husband about future potential plans have brought to light many things for me. We've already had lots of discussions and done some education ;)
-I am no expert in any way, shape, or form, but I still can't believe how much I've learned. I still have a long ways to go. But having a child does not make you an expert in obstetrics or babies either. I love it when people think it does... Always consider your source and their background!
And finally, the c-section I saw was amazing, but I don't want one of those either. Being in the operating room is really cool, and it was the very first birth I saw. When they finally got down to the amniotic sack, it was like a fountain when the doctor punctured it, kind of funny! I also was able to pull on some gloves and check out the placenta. Very amazing what those things can do. I put the baby bands on mom and dad, and participated in the instrument counts and lap pad counts. The mom also had a tubal ligation, so the doctor pointed out the ovaries, the tubes, the fimbriae, and I got to see a ton of stuff. It was seriously awesome! Very good experience.
5 quarters down, 2 more to go! Community Health and Leadership up next... Hope I survive!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
Great post- love the pictures. Have you ever seen the documentary "The business of being born"? It makes a great case for natural birth. I had two vaginal births in the hospital with epidurals, but I am tempted to try the at-home birth experience next time around. I'm a little scared considering how huge my babies heads are and all. Plus I hate pain.
You'll be an awesome nurse!
Aw, thanks Rory! I really appreciate it. I have seen "The Business of Being Born." It's a good case for non-hospital births, for sure...
If you really want to try the home birth thing, there are tons of wonderful midwives out there. You could also hire a doula to help you through your labor. The sole job of a doula is to support the woman throughout the birth. They have tons of ways to help relieve pain and get you through it. Interview midwives and doulas and ask questions until you have someone you relate to and who believes in and will support your wishes. Or if you're super nervous about being at home, you could try a birth center too. They also have tons and tons of great ideas and tricks and techniques to get you through. You can do whatever you want to do :)
I thought this was a great post! I agree with you that many women just do what everyone else does and never think to question if there might be something better for them, or think that they might prefer a different route other than the hospital.
Post a Comment